A few facts and tips to get you started…
One of the tea world’s best kept secrets, Rooibos Tea, is beginning to make a name for itself today because of its delicious and nutritious characteristics.
- Rooibos comes from a rare plant that is only found in the beautiful region of Cederberg located in South Africa.
- Rooibos tea is made from the leaves of the Aspalathus Linearis plant unlike “true tea” which is derived from the Camillia Sinensis plant., which means Rooibos tea is more of an herbal drink or tisane than a classic tea.
- Both types of tea leaves undergo the oxidation process, but because the leaves of the Aspalathus linearis are naturally packed with more antioxidants than those of the Camiellia sinensis, Rooibos tea maintains more antioxidants than green tea.
- On top of having more antioxidants, Rooibos tea is also naturally caffeine free. Tea drinkers all over are turning to this rare commodity because it is caffeine-free and it contains many of the essential minerals and nutrients that keep balance in the body.
- Some of the essential components of Rooibos tea include calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
A classic cup of Rooibos Tea tends to have a mild earthy flavor, which many describe as nutty. It is a pure and smooth taste that leaves you refreshed and relaxed.
The Perfect Cup
To make the perfect cup of Rooibos use about 1.5 teaspoons of tea per 8oz cup. Let your water temperature come to 208° (FYI Full boil is 212°) before pouring. Rooibos tea should steep for 5-7 minutes depending on your desired consistency. Once steeping is completed you have prepared the perfect cup. Enjoy!
K’Tizo carries 18 wonderful Rooibos teas. If you are new to Rooibos we recommend the crowd favorites African Savannah, Vanilla Rooibos, and Nicy Spicy Rooibos. However, all of our Rooibos teas are delicious!
Browse our complete rooibos selection.
Take your Rooibos game to the next level! Try cooking with Rooibos…