Hibiscus is a genus of plants that are native to warm temperate, subtropical, and tropical regions throughout the world. Hibiscus may also be known as rose mallow, hardy hibiscus, rose of sharon, or tropical hibiscus.
Hibiscus “tea” is an herbal tisane (not from the camellia sinensis tea plant) that is nutritious and delicious, and makes a wonderful hot or iced tea!
What does hibiscus taste like?
Hibiscus is a strong and sassy tea that is close to tart lemonade. The infusion ranges from scarlet red to a deep burgundy color, depending on the amount used. Honey or sugar sweetens the flavor profile for those who prefer less tartness.
What are the health benefits of hibiscus tea?
- may help lower both systolic and diastolic blood pressure, which is linked to lowering heart disease (Source 1) (Source 2) (Source 3)
- it is not recommended for those taking hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure (Source)
- may aid weight loss. In one study, hibiscus extract reduced body weight, body fat, body mass index and hip-to-waist ratio over twelve weeks (Source).
- may help prevent cancer as it is high in polyphenols (Source) and has been known to inhibit cancerous cells (Source 1, Source 2, Source 3)
- may help lower blood fat levels (another risk factor for heart disease). A study showed an increase in “good” HDL cholesterol and decrease in total cholesterol, “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides (Source)
- may benefit liver health by increasing drug-detoxifying enzymes and reducing liver damage and fatty liver (Source 1, Source 2, Source 3)
- may fight bacteria (Source).
Hibiscus is also high in antioxidants, which are molecules that fight free radicals which can cause damage to your cells. (Source)
How do I prepare hibiscus tea?
Use 1.5 tsp hibiscus for every 8oz water. Steep the tea leaves for 5-7 minutes at 205° (just under boiling). Hibiscus is naturally sassy (tart) so sweeten with honey, sugar, agave, or stevia if desired.
What hibiscus blends does K’Tizo offer?
In addition to our plain organic Hibiscus, we have a number of loose leaf herbal hibiscus based tisanes!
Check out what else is in these blends…
African Breeze – Honeybush, Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Rosehips, Eucalyptus, Safflowers, Marigold, Orange
Berry Good (organic) – Elderberries, Raisins & Berry Flavors
Cinnamon Almond Plus – Apples, Rosehips, Almond, Rooibos, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Orange
Cran-Apple Crush (organic) – Cranberry, Apple
Fruitful Melody – Apple, Orange, Rosehip, Pineapple
Indian Summer – Apple, Rosehip, Orange, Calendula, and Strawberry and Lemon natural flavors.
Pina Colada Twist – Apple, Rosehip, Coconut, Pineapple
Polynesian Paradise – Pineapple, Apricot, Peach, Papaya, Cranberry with Mango, Passionfruit and Peach flavor
Renewal (organic) – Mint, Honeybush, Chamomile, Calendula, Rose & Osmanthus Petals
Strawberry Kiwi Quench – Rosehip, and Strawberry and Kiwi natural flavors