A phrase we like to use at K’Tizo is “beyond the cup.” Tea is a diverse beverage offering a large variety of different flavors and uses. One that must not be overlooked is using teas/tisanes as an ingredient for a vast array of recipes! There are many reasons why this is such a good idea, but here are just a few:
- It blends well with a variety of foods and adds dimension to any recipe
- It is versatile. Make it savory or sweet…it won’t disappoint either way!
- Tea (as well as Rooibos) is a great tenderizer for various meats
- In almost all cases when cooking tea will keep all the essential vitamins, antioxidants, and HDL’s (good cholesterols) that make tea so good for you. So if you’ve heard that tea is good for you but you don’t love it on it’s own, throw it in a few recipes and see what you think. We think you’ll be surprised by how much you’ll like it!
Here are a few ways to use tea in your every day cooking:
- Grind loose leaf tea into powder and add to flour (roughly 1 teaspoon for each cup of flour)
- Substitute strongly steeped tea for wine or liquor
- Infuse tea into milk or cream (for recipes or hot chocolate!)
- Replace water with tea
- Marinate meats or meat substitutes with steeped tea.
- Add a pinch of tea leaves to water for steaming foods such as fish, rice, or vegetables
- Sauté steeped tea leaves with vegetables and/or meats.
- Infuse tea leaves into simple syrup for an easy shot of tea flavor in sweets and cocktails.
Let your imagination soar as you try some of these ideas and discover your own! And stay up-to-date with our blog…we’ll be posting new tea recipes frequently!